I just encountered my first Google fail. I image searched “ants taking a bath” (for various, top secret research reasons, of course) and got NOTHING. The first thing that came up was a dog. NOT EVEN CLOSE. So I’m coming here to vent about this. (i was hoping for a cartoon version, because in reality bugs in large groups freak me out.)
BUT then I realized, I can fix this problem. NEVER FEAR. Because now, your “ants taking a bath” no picture problem has been solved. [Never really wanted to know if ants actually take baths]
Cred to C-Dubs on the clawfeet. Mine won’t ever get the chance to run.
You are so welcome.
Other important questions that may arise during grad school:
Can I cut this?
And how does ______ achieve this function?
Can I palpate you?
How can we keep a coffee maker hidden all semester?
Are my khakis really jean cut?
1. Jorts. [Self explanatory].
2. You’ve heard of the rule that if it’s dead and you didn’t kill it, you shouldn’t touch it? You haven’t? Congrats, you aren’t the only one! About 10 people at the beach on the 4th of July may have ended up with a weird fish parasite because it seemed like it was a good idea to pick up a dead fish from Lake Michigan. A couple points for a safe holiday (next year):
a) Lake Michigan. Don’t take anything from this lake, ever. Just as a general rule, especially if you are in Milwaukee or Chicago. In Chicago it is a particularly bad idea, since city officials actually do have to monitor the fecal count in the water. (Really, do not feed the birds.)
Actually, maybe don’t even go swimming. Just stay out of the water, and you’ll be fine.
Don’t pick up anything you find dead on the beach either.
b) Let me reiterate. If you didn’t kill the dead thing, don’t touch it. You don’t know where that’s been!
Bradford Beach Milwaukee is definitely a change of pace from Chiami (aka North Ave Beach, Chicago). Biggest difference: While there was still a hint of Jersey Shore (can’t be a city beach without it), the number of guys wearing Armani/Hugo Boss/CK under their swim trunks was about 1/8 of that found in Chiami. If you think that this is not a thing, check out Chiami. I understand that swim trunk liners can chafe, but please be advised that you just look like a douchebag when you show off your high-end name brand underwear. Adopting the Captain Morgan stance atop your cooler doesn’t help.
All in all, a beautiful day 4th of July in Milwaukee. We should do this more than once a year. ‘Merica.
In case you didn’t know, trying to eat Teddy Grahams while your hands smell like dissection is pretty unpleasant. So, there commences the start of the diet “Only Things You Can Eat With a Fork.”
Goal for tomorrow: double glove.
Study goal: back muscles, because I can’t keep referring to the trapezius as “the big one”
Double gloving is the way to go. Trying to find muscles in humans is way more complicated when it’s not a text book illustration. I’d call it more of an excavation instead of “dissection.”
You get over the aversion to eating before/after lab when you realize it’s your only option.
New goal: pack more snacks. SO MANY SNACKS.
Questions galore about this necklace. Yes, I love it. Yes, those are tiny wishbones! (I like to think I’m starting this next phase of oh-god-more-college with lots of wishes) Yep, it’s hand-made by my good friend, up and coming Chicago designer, Effigy By Kira Lee. Look her up!
I missed the point when I turned into an adult. Actually, there are still times when I have to ask other people “Hey, adults do this, right?” Feeling woe-begone and frustrated the other day about my lack of groceries and total lack of motivation to go buy some, I started the reverse to-do list:
ALL THE THINGS I DID NOT DO TODAY
- Shower. At least I didn’t workout
- Read the news.
- Pay credit card.
- Buy groceries
This small list quickly morphed into IF I WERE A REAL ADULT, WHAT WOULD I BE DOING, but that title was too massive, so it turned into
THINGS ADULTS DO
[DISCLAIMER: I don’t consider myself a real adult, so let me know if things need to be added/taken off.]
- Fold and put away laundry. Not the same as the process of making clothes clean.
- Eat healthy food. Good breakfast, Snickers for lunch. Can’t win all the time.
- Go to bed at a reasonable hour. Ha. Hahaha.
- Have productive Saturdays. This last Saturday I went to Bikram and then watched 5 episodes of SVU. I’m judging myself.
- Call their relations on their birthdays. May have added this one because I remembered to call my dad for his birthday, and I need as many points as I can get here.
- Do taxes on time.
- Meet deadlines with more than 27 seconds to spare.
- Go grocery shopping.
- Put away groceries. Have you discovered that putting things away is not my strong suit? “Freeze ground beef” is an item on my to-do list.
- Buy fruits and vegetables.
- Take vitamins.
- Have a meal plan. That’s a big nope.
- Have a budget.
- Have an organized closet. This is really just a New Year’s resolution to be honest.
- Do not drop expensive things. My iPhone. 5x a week. No wonder it only works half the time.
- Be prepared. Specifically in the tampon department. Gets me everytime.
- Spell out every word in your text messages. If you are over the age of 15 and you say “C U soon” I will not see you soon.
- Have a stance on something. Health insurance, birth control, the Sudan, baby elephants. Something.
- Do the dishes. Before the sink becomes apocalyptic.
- Crock pot.
- Read. I’m aiming for the news and hitting fiction. Baby steps.
- Make the bed.
- Have a morning routine. My current routine: Hit snooze 3 times. Turn off alarm. Fall back asleep. Awaken naturally in a full state of panic 15 minutes later. Do not shower. Do not pass go. Do not eat breakfast. Do not collect two hundred dollars. Instead, stand in front of closet and debate on clothing choices for the day. Be unable to find keys. Be exactly one minute late to work.
- Think about marriage. I’M NOT EVEN A PERSON YET STOPPIT
WordPress tells me that I haven’t blogged in 4 months. For some reason my Twitter is no longer syncing with page [this may be because I basically forgotten how to tweet]. HEY I’VE BEEN BUSY OK. At least, that’s what I tell myself. Mostly it’s just been a number of excuses that have kept me from hauling out the tripod (which I actually have now!) and taking some glamour shots of my awesome outfits. So while I go do that real quick, here’s the latest:
I went to Costa Rica for a month. Look! Pictures!
The short of it: I spent a month in a beautiful country with wonderful, generous people who were more than happy to share everything that they had to offer. Thank you.
I am still pretty in love with Chicago, though, so here’s a couple of Chicago:
First real snow today!!! Yeahhhhhh (and for all you GoT fans, I’ll throw in the obligatory #winteriscoming).
Enjoy where you are.
This is what I’ve been doing. Trying out some modeling. Just a couple ol’ vintage pieces. Nothing major. Except that these are TOTALLY ON SALE.
Here’s what you need to do:
Go to Dead Girls Vintage on Etsy.
Use coupon code 7deadgirlsmoving7 to get 50% off on purchases of $20 or more.
IT’S THAT EASY.
Personal favorites from above are the black lace overdress and the leather overall dress with the fab cat-eye sunglasses.
Also, try not to be jealous of how pale I am. I know you are 😛